Ear candles have been used by many cultures as a natural therapy for ear problems since ancient times. Ear candling works on all levels, physical, emotional and subtle. Benefits can include relief from headaches, excessive ear wax, tinnitus, ear aches, sinus problems, hearing problems, catarrh, rhinitis, and pressure regulation. As the ear, nose, sinuses and throat are all interconnected the candles regulate and balance the whole upper respiratory tract. People often describe a soothing, light sensation in the ear and head, gentle sounds and a wonderful feeling of relaxation during a treatment.
What does the Hopi treatment include?
- A brief consultation
- Fully dressed the client lies down on one side, and a candle is lit and put gently in the first ear (this lasts approximately 10-12 minutes)
- The second ear is treated in a similar way
- After the candling, Reiki is given to the head and ears to enhance the benefits of the candling treatment
- The client is then offered a drink of water
A treatment usually lasts for about one hour. Mamta uses Naturhelix candles. The candles are a hollow tube made out of cotton flax and impregnated with beeswax, honey, sage, St.John's wort, chamomile and beta-carotene. The candle has a chimney effect with a mild suction action when lit. This gently massages the eardrum, regulates pressure within the head and promotes better blood and lymph circulation. Impurities are drawn out and vapours which help calm and soothe the nervous system are inhaled through the nose.
The candle usually generates a pleasant crackling sound and a warm, comfortable, relaxing feeling.
Some people find syringing uncomfortable. Ear candling is a good option to try before having the ears syringed.
The treatment is suitable for all ages. Children can be treated from the age of about 3 depending on their wish to have the treatment, their ability to lie still for the duration of the treatment and their ability to convey to the practitioner/parent how they are feeling before, during and after the treatment. Treatment can be shorter for children. A parent or legal guardian must be present during the treatment for a child under 16.
After treatment advice
- Avoid water sports like swimming for 24 hours after a treatment.
- Sometimes the ears may feel more sensitive on the day following the treatment. Avoid cold winds or place a small amount of cotton wool in the ear, just at the entrance to the ear canal and no further down.
- It is good to drink plenty of water after the treatment to help eliminate toxins and prevent the occurence of a headache after the treatment.
- Reduce caffeinated drinks and alcohol intake as these have a diuretic effect.
- Reduce intake of dairy products if you suffer from sinus problems as these can create excess mucous in the body.
- Make time to relax regularly.
- Have regular treatments to keep the ears and upper respiratory system free of congestion.
Conditions that require caution with Hopi Ear Candles
- If oil has been placed in the ear, a treatment can be given at least 24 hours after the oil has been used.
- If the client is allergic to any of the constituents of the candles: beeswax, honey, sage, St.John's wort, chamomile and beta-carotene.
- If the client is experiencing pain due to toothache/dental work, the treatment may be too uncomfortable for them.
What cannot be treated with Hopi Ear Candles?
- Perforation or lack of eardrum
- Cochlear implant - the treatment could interfere with the device and may feel uncomfortable.
- Ventilation tubes, auricular drains or grommets - it is advisable to wait six months before treatment to ensure the eardrum has fully healed.
- Eczema/dermatitis in the outer ear - a treatment may feel uncomfortable and cause further irritation to the ear.
- Recent ear surgery
- Recent head or neck injury
- Auricular cysts
- Outer ear infection/mastoiditis - there may be increased sensitivity to the treatment if there is current or recent infection. For middle and inner ear infection, the treatment should be beneficial.
- Otosclerosis or Otospongiosis
- Ear tumour
- High fever
- Heavy cold with frequent coughing or sneezing
- Diarrhoea or vomiting
- Any contagious disease or skin infections
If you are in doubt about any of these conditions or problems you have with your ear you must consult your GP before attending a treatment.
To understand how Ear Candling can help with energetic healing you can read this excellent article by Patrick Quanten that he has very generously allowed me to provide here.
Mamta offers Ear Candling treatments in Highbury, Islington, North London. Please view clinic details for more information or to book an appointment.